Get cash from your website. Sign up as affiliate

Sunday, November 7, 2010

“La Grange fitness trainer switches gears to help children with autism - Chicago Sun-Times”

“La Grange fitness trainer switches gears to help children with autism - Chicago Sun-Times”


La Grange fitness trainer switches gears to help children with autism - Chicago Sun-Times

Posted: 03 Nov 2010 02:03 AM PDT

La Grange fitness trainer switches gears to help children with autism

David Geslak started out training college and serious adult athletes, but before long he discovered a more rewarding challenge.

The La Grange fitness and conditioning specialist was asked to teach Joseph, a shy 8-year-old with autism spectrum disorder, how to skip. It was an intriguing prospect, to form a bond with Joseph and break down the steps to what comes easily to most kids.

Following four one-hour sessions on skipping, "I don't know whose smile was bigger, mine or his," Geslak said "Once I saw how I could impact not only him, but his family, I thought, this is what I need to be doing."

A football player and track standout at Hinsdale South High School in Darien, the 1999 graduate earned a bachelor's degree in health, leisure and sports studies from the University of Iowa, where he made the track team as a walk-on. As a senior, he worked as a strength and conditioning coach for Iowa's football team.

Returning to Chicago after graduation as a fitness trainer, Geslak saw clients who were mostly adults, some who were NFL players or training for triathlons. But his encounter with Joseph shifted Geslak's focus entirely to research, and before long he began working with special needs children and adults.

"I see their capabilities, not their disabilities," he said. "I wanted to teach them to exercise and see the benefits of it."

Exercise boosts his clients self-confidence, gives them goals outside of schoolwork, helps counter inappropriate behaviors and improves cognitive functions by using both sides of the brain and increasing blood flow and oxygen, according to Geslak.

In 2004, Geslak co-founded Right-Fit, a fitness facility in Willowbrook serving children with special needs.

"You have to have more patience and a love for the kids," Geslak said of his clients with special needs. "If you're in it for the wrong reasons or if you become impatient, they can read that."

To learn more and pursue another direction, Geslak left Right-Fit to work as a one-on-one aide at Giant Steps, a school for children with autism in Lisle.

"Giant Steps used to be in Burr Ridge and they'd come to our facility at Right-Fit for their P.E. program," he recalled. "I saw the kids for one hour, and in a large group, it was pretty challenging working with children ages 5 to 21."

Instead of going back to school for an advanced degree, Geslak decided to immerse himself in Giant Step's programs, including music therapy, occupational therapy and social work.

"The best way to learn is to be with the kids, and that's what I did as an aide for six months," he said. "They knew me and my background and asked me to implement their special recreation and P.E. program."

Part of Geslak's method involves assessing students' physical capabilities before participation and reassessing them later.

"I assess their motor planning skills and their body composition, not just height and weight, but circumference around their chest, thighs and stomach," he said. "Parents need to know what's going on, to see the effect of what children are eating and how they're staying physically active. It's all about education."

Geslak said the physical assessment component differentiates his approach from others, and as a result, Giant Steps was awarded a grant to develop his program. In 2009, he founded Exercise Connection Corp., developed an exercise DVD and began partnerships with area special recreation groups and schools.

He has contributed articles and conducted 14 workshops in 2010 on the benefits of exercise for children with autism, both physically and in their cognitive development.

On Nov. 10, Geslak will head to Cairo, where he has been invited to conduct a three-day workshop for Egyptian educators and parents.

"I've never been out of the country," he admitted. "I'm a little nervous, but it will be an amazing experience. It's a huge opportunity to help children and share with the professionals in that country."

Sun-Times Media

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.



image

This posting includes an audio/video/photo media file: Download Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment